Land-based Water Training Workshop – All Levels
3 Sessions – Working Teams – Auditor Option
February 18 & 19, 2023
- Have you wondered if your PWD can perform those tasks that his ancestors did on the fishing boats in Portugal?
- Would you like to have fun with your PWD both on land and in the water while building a wonderful bond with him/her?
- Are you new to water work or would like to learn new ways to train water with your PWD?
Come join us for a land-based workshop to learn what’s needed to join in all the fun! The workshop will be specifically geared toward your team and the training exercises you most need to be successful. A questionnaire will be sent out in advance so that we can address the specific needs of each PWD Team or Auditor. Focus will be on specific solutions that will help you and your PWD be successful at any level:
- Adapting traditional water training exercises to land
- Breaking down water tasks to their individual components
- Making it fun – training games and techniques
- Transitioning from land to water successfully
It is suggested that participating dogs have at least completed puppy kindergarten (or equivalent).
Location: San Lorenzo Dog Training Club, 534 C Lewelling Blvd., San Leandro, CA 94579
What: Three workshop sessions (3 hours each) that can be attended either individually or together, with your PWD (working slot) or as an auditor. All are welcome to attend any workshop, regardless of experience level.
Who: Instructor – Karen Pratt*, PWDCA Water Committee Member, PWDCA Water Trial Judge.
Registration deadline: Friday, February 10
Don’t delay, sessions fill up fast!
3 Workshop Sessions to Address your specific needs:
Saturday, February 18, 2023
3:00pm – 6:00pm Beginning Water Work Skills
(Junior & Apprentice Levels)
Land training games, tips and techniques (as described above) and everything you need to know about water practice and trialing, including water equipment, basic rules/water trial etiquette, retrieving skills (take, hold, give, stay) and what to expect at your first water trial. Beginners, we encourage you to participate in all 3 sessions (even if you audit). You will learn so many techniques for working with your PWD now and be more prepared for advanced levels!
Optional: “Ask the Judge” Attendee dinner Q & A after workshop
Sunday, February 19, 2023
10:00 – 1:00 Continued Beginning/Intermediate
(Apprentice & Working Level Skills)
- Land Games to play to train behaviors
- How to train Jumping from a boat and boarding a boat
- Working on control with distractions (+/- theory)
- Rewards (intended and unintended!)
- Nailing the Retrieve
- Using Commands
Lunch: 1:00 – 2:30 Pizza & Salad Lunch (no charge) with Q & A
2:30 pm – 5:30 pm Intermediate/Advanced
(Working, Courier & Beyond)
- Advanced Land Games
- Discrimination & Marking
- Transfers, send to person (boat)
Working slots are open to those attendees whose PWDs are comfortable sitting in a crate during the lecture part of instruction. No exceptions for the safety of all participants. Please bring your own crate. One dog per handler.
Audit slots are meant for those who are attending the lectures and would prefer to learn by watching the working teams. Attendees guests should sign up for audit slot.
- Collar and/or harness and 6′ leash
- Water harness (if they have one)
- Dog crate, something to cover your crate if your PWD starts participating in the lecture (towel is fine) & Water Bowl
- Soft, high value training treats (3-4 different types, cut into pieces not larger than a pea)
- Favorite toy
- Drinking Water
- Comfortable chair, if you don’t love folding chairs
- PFD, if you have one (yes, we’re going to use it!)
- Please wear closed-toe shoes (sneakers, mocs, water shoes; just something that doesn’t get your toes tromped on!)
- Notebook & pen or pencil
Workshop Registration and Payment
Please register below to sign up for any or all workshop sessions. Discount for 2 or more sessions. We encourage you to attend them all!
Working Teams (handler and PWD)
1 workshop $35
2 workshops $60
All 3 workshops $85
Auditor/Guest attendance is $25 for 1 (additional discounts apply for more than 1 session)
Please add $5 for each workshop if you are not a current member of the PWDCNC
Sunday Lunch (Pizza and Salad) will be provided by the PWDCNC
Questions? Contact Kathy Souza, PWDCNC Water Chair
Please register for Workshop Sessions by Friday, February 10, 2023